Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Happened A Year Ago?!

     Can you honestly remember what you were doing and where you were a year ago?? I am lucky to remember what I did yesterday, or even where in the world my husband said he was 5 minutes ago. I guess I am to poor to pay attention. Either that or my head is so far up my a$$ on most days that it would take an elephant sized piece of machinery to dig it out. Perhaps it is simply memory loss, or perhaps it is just nothing that exciting happens that often, so why bother to remember??

     Not sure how my screwy brains work when it comes to memory, but most of the time most information goes in one ear and rides the old express train right straight out the other side. It could be there is not enough sticky goo in between my ears to soak it all in. I swear most of my brain cells went into my last baby. Maybe Alzheimer’s is setting in! Now that is just scary! Regardless, when this week’s challenge for the GBE2 was posted as “One Year Ago”, I have to admit I panicked! If I were a dude, I would have been scratching my head and my nuts on this one. As it is, I was really close to pleading the fifth on the whole challenge and not submitting a thing. Where is the fun in that though??

     Like many of my colleagues, I could have jumped on the old 9/11 wagon and wrote about what I was doing when the worst tragedy in American history occurred since the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I however, have to be just a little different than the average bear! What would be the fun in doing whatever everyone else is doing?? I remember being glued to the television screen like everyone else in our country horrified and unable to believe that what I was watching wasn’t just a product of Hollywood. 14 years ago I was busy taking the vows, and cruising around Put-in-Bay, Ohio with my husband enjoying my honeymoon. Amazing how a person can remember things that happened that long ago so clearly and can be completely clueless about what happened a year ago, yesterday, or last week!!

      The challenge, for better or for worse, was a year ago. Last year I wrote a post about my anniversary, reminiscing about my wedding day. Life rambles on day in and day out with very little change. Rest assured if a big birdie flies over and drops money on my head or takes a crap, you will be the first to know!! So maybe I can’t remember specifically what happened a year ago, but I do remember the beauty of my wedding, the terror of 9-11, and exactly how I felt when my kids were born. I remember the important things in life, the biggies, and the hum drum rest gets lost in transition. That is my story and I am sticking to it!!  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

23 comments:

  1. Hey, it's the important things that matter! I made fun of my mom for not remembering things; now she makes fun of me--sigh. And I'd rather remember my wedding or my children any day! Good job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, thank you for stopping in to read and comment! Now I don't feel like a complete a$$ because I chose not to focus on what had been lost during the 9/11 attacks. I am so pleased you enjoyed my contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I've lived so many years, it is hard to remember what was done on a particular day!!! But, like you, I don't forget the important things like our wedding, the birth of our two daughters, their weddings and the births of their children, our wonderful grandchildren. On and on I could go about these wonderful things just as you did.

    BTW, on Facebook they noted a post I had done on this day in 2009. That's the first time I had seen that being done. I posted about the visit of my sister and husband that weekend. This was the first time they had come to our home in nearly 20 years. Of course, we had visited them at least once a year because my Mother lived with them. So, in that case I would have remembered that but it wasn't last year. So, like you, I don't remember what I did last year on this day. But --- you did a good job of meeting your blog challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS remembering the important things that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the mixed blessings of being a blogger as well as someone who keeps a rather sporadic journal - is with some effort I might be able to figure out what I was doing a year ago - or at least give you a general idea of what was going on in my life. That said - I believe that even as bad as our memories may get we will always remember the best days of our lives. And that's what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty, thank you for stopping by to read and comment!! I enjoy hearing your stories about your life!! For some reason I have the tendency to tune out the bad and focus on the good. I am blessed that I had no loved ones lost in the tragic events of 9/11, otherwise this time of year would dredge up a sadness and longing that would be unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephtee, I agree completely!!Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer, I agree completely. For me the happy times stand out in my mind. Although I remember the bad too, I try not to focus on them. Thank you so much for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, so crack me up. Good belly laugh......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, a year ago was not "9/11" per say, just September 11 2010. There's a difference, ya know? Better to remember happier anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if it makes you feel any better...I had to look at a post from last year because I kept racking my brain trying to think of what happened last year. The truth is when I saw my post, I was upset all over again. What I had forgotten came back to me 10 fold. Sometimes we can only remember things when it was either something good or something traumatizing. It never usually happens when something is so/so.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your take on this, not surprisingly. I see very little value in dredging up the past, unless you have something to learn from it.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, thank you for stopping by to read and comment!! Glad you got a belly laugh on your visit, that is the biggest compliment out there in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steven, can I get an "Amen" from the peanut gallery, or even a "Hell Yeah!!". That was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this. I would rather laugh and smile that get all congested with snot from bawling my eyes out!! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. D, you can sure say that again. Most of my life seems to be in the "ho hum" category. It is true that the happiest and the most traumatic stick out like focal points. Guess we should all really start to worry when we can't remember those either! Thank you for stopping in to read and comment! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jo, I agree completely with you. Usually bad memories do offer lessons that needed learning. That is the purpose for the struggles in life-to learn from and to learn coping skills. I also think they are used to draw us back to G0d if we had happened to wander a little to far away. Bad times remind us to put our trust where it should be. So pleased you stopped by to read and comment and that you liked what you found here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I confess that I was also stumped on the one-year-ago thing. Heck...I'm lucky if I remember yesterday. Now ask me something that happened 30 years ago.... I can ace that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darlene, I know just what you mean!! LOL Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Claudia, thank you for stopping by! I love this song! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just adore you and the way that you express yourself. If we were neighbors, I have a feeling that we'd spend lots of time at each other's kitchen tables, drinking coffee and laughing our heads off.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Word Nerd, thank you so much for dropping in to read and comment! As far as adoration goes, I absolutely adore you too! I think you absolutely nailed it, the two of us put together would probably result in a giggle fest where someone ends up laughing so hard they pee their pants! Not sure I could partake of the coffee though. Ewww. Not a coffee drinker. My dad tried to get me into coffee a long time ago and he ended up wearing it because I spit that nasty crap all over him. LOL. Needless to say, he never offered again. Live and learn I guess. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes though don't you just wish for a little humdrum when the drama gets high. Loved this.
    Pam
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pbquig, most definitely would rather have the humdrum instead of the drama! Good point! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete