Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds




     One Halloween I decided to concoct my own recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds.  Since Halloween is just around the corner, and most of you will soon be up to your elbows in pumpkin guts, I thought I would share it with all of you!  It has become a tradition at my house to bake these pumpkin seeds for an after Trick-or-Treating snack.

     When carving your pumpkins this Halloween, save all the seeds.  Place them in a colander and rinse with cold water to get rid of any stray pumpkin guts.  Pat dry with paper towels.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  In a plastic zip lock bag add...

2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Melt 3 TBSP of butter in the microwave.  Coat seeds with butter, then toss seeds into zip lock bag to coat with seasonings.  Prepare a cookie sheet by covering with aluminum foil and then spray liberally with non stick cooking spray.  Spread seeds on foil lined cookie sheet.  Bake  60 minutes, turning seeds occasionally throughout cooking time, until browned and crunchy.  Allow to cool and enjoy!!

Bon Appetit'!


9 comments:

  1. This is a neat recipe, Kathy. Didn't know that it was this easy. Thanks a bunch! Gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, it is fairly easy and they are yummy! My kids love them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty, Oh and thanks for stopping in to check out my Tasty Tuesday recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh! These pumpkin seeds sound scrumptious! I bake them every year, but I usually just use a little olive oil and salt. Yours are gourmet pumpkin seeds! I like the idea of the sweetness of the sugar on them. I'll do some of mine like this and see what the gang says...

    p.s. I have a cute little hamster and I'm going to roast some for him too...without salt of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beachlover, wow...me a galloping gourmet??? Thank you!!! I have always fancied myself a good cook but never has anyone EVER paid me such a wonderful compliment. I am speechless. I love to take a basic recipe and then experiment and make it all my own. That is what happened when I came up with this version of pumpkin seeds. Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my recipe and comment! You made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, I've always only made the olive oil and salt...will have to try your version! sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At what temperature do you set the oven at? I usually broil mine but baking sounds good.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/10/wordless-wednesday-hypnotist.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sylvia, your version sounds yummy too! If you try it, I hope you like it! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I usually preheat the oven for 325 degrees. Make sure you really grease the aluminum foil down well so the seeds won't stick. How does broiling work on them??? How long do you do those for when you broil? I usually use the low heat and turn them every so often. Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete