Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Cheddar Potato Casserole


    Soon it will be Thanksgiving, and I am already planning what will be on the dinner table at my house.  Mashed potatoes are a staple for any holiday table and there is not tastier recipe for mashed potatoes than this one.  It is a firm favorite at my house and is often requested whether it is Thanksgiving or not.


4-6  large baking potatoes, peeled  
1 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tomato, thinly sliced
2 TBSP chopped fresh chives


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Coarsely chop the potatoes.  Place in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover.  Cook over medium high heat until tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain and mash in saucepan.   If you choose to take the shortcut, prepare the instant mashed potatoes according to package directions.


Add cream cheese and sour cream to saucepan.  Whip potatoes with a wire whisk until well mixed.  Mix in onion salt, garlic salt, and pepper.


Spoon potato mixture into a baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes.


For a festive touch, arrange tomato slices on top of casserole and then sprinkle with chives.  Bake for 5 minutes longer.


Bon Appetit' and Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

  1. I love cheesy potatoes in any form and this looks way yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. I am not a potato lover, but my monkeys are ( they force me too cook them), this one is must. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, This is very yummy and very creamy. Most of the time I use the instant potatoes to make it in a big hurry. My family loves it!! Thanks for stopping in to check out my recipe and to comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, my little monkeys happen to love this recipe, so I am sure yours will too! Thanks for stopping by to check out my recipe and to comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most kids like mashed potatoes, especially when they are guests in a strange place. And, I really like cheese! Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty, we are big on mashed potatoes and cheese is the bonus! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete