Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Money and Memories




     It is said that money isn’t everything.  I am not sure who shared that bit of wisdom, but in many senses they are right. It isn’t everything but it sure comes in handy.  It is a money hungry world we live in where everyone is out to get more and more money.  More money equals more stuff.   Money changes how people behave, but the bottom line is we are all essentially the same. We all have hearts that beat, we all are born, put our pants on the same way, and eventually we will all die.  Having money or not won’t change those facts of life.


    I never felt that I was deprived of much when I was growing up. My dad was an over the road truck driver and would be gone 2-6 weeks at a time, much like my husband is today.  If anything, I would have wanted more time with my Dad.  He retired early, and that is when I really felt that I became close to him.  The time I spent with both of my parents during their lifetimes was priceless.  I wouldn’t have traded that for all the money in the world.  I still have mementoes and pictures that I treasure, and things that help keep the memories alive in my heart.


  
        After my Dad’s death I got a crystal clear picture of what my sister valued most and it appalled me.  We were always polar opposites in everything.  Where all she ever cared about was money, all I cared about was the memories that were attached.  Over the years I have grown so used to not having money, that when I do have some I hardly know what to do with it.   I am usually afraid to spend it, especially on anything frivolous.  Every week I sit down on payday and figure out right down to the last cent where the money will be allocated.  Once the plan is set, I am relieved and happy to carry it out.  There is nothing better than being able to get everything I need for the week and pay some bills in the bargain.  Even if I don’t have a dollar left to my name, which I usually don’t, I am pleased as punch that I was able to stretch the money to cover everything I needed it to.


      I often wonder what the world would be like if there was no money.  If you needed to go to the doctor, you simply went instead of waiting until you had the co-pay in your pocket.  You didn’t sit and agonize over the bill that would surely follow.  There would be no worries for money for electricity to light up the night, or heat to keep a body warm.   If you needed more gas for your car, you simply filled it up and went on about your business.  If there was no money, greed and poverty would be eliminated.  We would all share and get along.  


       Some people believe if you have lots of money, you have it all. Without love and laughter, money really doesn’t mean a whole lot.   Very little in this life is free and most everything in life takes money to be able to enjoy.  If my life is rich with love, laughter, and priceless memories,   I won’t mind so much the lack of money until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.




16 comments:

  1. This was a good topic, it will likely make people think about priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November Rain, thank you!! Some of these letters are kind of hard to come up with and then this one, was fairly easy. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  2. If we could only live in such an idealstic perfect world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I wish we could. Things like going to the doctor is unexpected and sometimes needed. I hate worrying about things. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  3. Great topic and one that I am currently stressed out to the max about. It's been a hard winter....always the slowest time for trucking in New England. My squeeze was off work a week b/c he was sick and then his asshat dispatcher decided to rent a different trailer for him, and that meant another week off. As a result, we are in bad shape right now. I don't mind not having anything leftover, but the thought of not being able to make rent, utilities and credit card bills is literally keeping me up at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, sounds so familiar it is scary. Thank you for stopping in to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Faith, Friends, and Flip Flops, :D Thanks for stopping in and for your heart felt comment!

      Delete
  5. You do in fact, have your priorities in line. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I do my best but it always seems like we are short on money. Thanks for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  6. I always say that money isn't everything but it sure makes things easier. I wouldn't know what to do with a lot of money either.
    I have often thought the Star Trek approach to money would be good. They didn't use money. There was no need.
    I think it is sad that money makes the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, money sure does make things easier. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  7. Money is handy when you have to pay the rent. And other things. It sucks to be stressing over whether you can afford to get badly needed tires for your car, that you use to get to work, OR school clothes for your kid. Been there, stressed that.

    On the other hand, you always CAN make more money. When you let the chance go to spend time with someone you love... can't get that back.

    What I notice about people who already have substantial sums of money - they want more, they need more. They never feel they have enough. (I know from firsthand experience, sadly.) So they will ALWAYS want/need more.

    FYI, looks like that video was filmed in Union Station, LA, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, it seems as hard as I try not to I can never get totally away from stressing about money. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  8. I agree that a life without "love and laughter" is a very lonely one. As stressful as money issues can be, it sounds like you do a fine job of managing it. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty Nest Insider, there is one thing about money issues. The check is what it is, and I can only do what I can do so why worry about it? It took me a long time to realize that no matter what the bills would still be there to paid tomorrow and eventually they would get paid, so why worry? Life is entirely to short. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments. ♥

      Delete