Monday, May 21, 2012

Somebody’s Watching Me-BFF 193


     I hate it when people stare at me.   I find it extremely rude.   It drives me completely insane and is one of my pet peeves.    My mind instantly tries to find a reason why anyone would be looking at me.   Is my fly open? Is my b00b hanging out?  Is there a hole that exposes my crotch? What?  Take a picture and be on your way!  Just quit staring!  I would never make it as an actress because I could not tolerate people looking at me.  


      I have always been extremely protective of my kids.  I went through 9 months of hell and a c-section for each just for the privilege of using the mommy title and I’ll be damned if I am going to allow just anyone come along and corrupt my kids.  I can do that well enough on my own, thank you very much.  I just don’t have the patience.   Therefore, If my offspring went outside to play, I went out to supervise or play with them.     If one farted, I knew when, who, how loud, and how bad it stunk, especially back when they were toddlers or preschoolers.  


        I soon noticed all the other parents in the community let their kids run wild with no supervision.  I was always appalled to find extremely small children playing in the street unsupervised or toddlers running around in the nude.  What the hell!! Put some clothes on your kid.  I always wondered where the hell the parents were.  Didn’t they care?  How rude and presumptuous to simply open the door and let your kids run wild and assume someone else in the neighborhood would supervise them wherever they happen to end up.




          One sunny afternoon I was outside with the kids watching them splash about in their kiddy pool.  Right next to the pool, I had a sandbox which put together with the water created my own little tropical oasis right outside my door.  All of a sudden I had the eerie feeling I was being watched.   I looked around to discover a slew of neighbor kids on their bikes parked at the end of our driveway.  One kid actually had a bag of chips and was munching along while watching us as if we were animals in the zoo.


          I asked them what they wanted, and they gave me the silent treatment at which point my scheming mind decided if they were going to watch us, I was going to get something in the deal.  As they continued to stare, I was beginning to get pi$$ed and just wanted them to leave.  They wanted an open invitation to join in the fun my kids were having and over my dead body were they going to get it.  “Take a picture, it will last longer!”  Still nothing!  There they sat staring us down, and it was game on.  “You are being very rude!”  I yelled at my tormentors.  At that moment I was hit with divine inspiration.  “You want to look then you are going to have to cough up $5.00!  My idea grew momentum.  That’s right, $5.00 a look! If you haven’t got the money get the hell out of here NOW!”   Simultaneously their jaws dropped, their eyes got big, and the kid inhaling chips fell off his bike.    I got off my chair and headed purposely toward the small group and they scattered and ran away as fast as they could.  I turned around and caught the eye of my oldest and we all burst into a fit of giggles.


        Take a picture and leave immediately, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00.  I know they were just fishing for an invitation to join in the fun, but if I would have allowed those kids to join us once, my house would have quickly transformed into the freebie neighborhood daycare and I wasn’t about to let that happen.  I didn’t make any money that day.  Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get a dime out of anyone who dares stare at me yet, but if I ever do you can bet your last dollar I will share it here until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.
          

9 comments:

  1. Very clever solution. You are right though, one official invitation and that'd be all it'd take to have them parked in your yard/house from then on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, you have to show kids like that whose boss. We had one little boy who would just show up at the house and stay. I had a terrible time trying to get him to leave. He was not a friend of my kids, he just thought our house was the place to be. My daughter did not want him over, so I told her to tell him not to come over anymore. He told her he was going to bring a gun to our house and kill us all if he couldn't come over. He had her so terrified she didn't want to go back to school. We had to nip that in the bud. I notified the school, who notified the parents, and that kid was suspended from school since he threatened her at school. I have been wary of kids ever since. I find it is just easier to not get involved with having other kids over to the house. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments. ♥

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm wondering, were they just kids being curious? But I wasn't there. Though I am guilty for letting my own boys when they were toddlers run around naked. Well, at least in the backyard:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think it went beyond curiosity. We had an experience before this where a little girl had showed up on her bike alone. I allowed her to come up and play with the kids. One day we came home from somewhere to discover this little girl and another kid in my kids sandbox when we weren't even home. I had a real problem with this. Having your children in your own backyard is one thing, I had seen little kids naked walking in the street. I guess I should have clarified that point. They were not at their home. I am not even sure where they lived. They were just out wandering around like that with no adults in sight. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. ♥

      Delete
  3. Now, if you had charged admission to get IN the pool, I bet you would have had some extra spending cash! Funny story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, the thing is, the pool was just big enough for my two kids. The place where we lived wouldn't allow a pool that was any bigger. Just my luck, one of them would try to drown or something, no thank you! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. ♥

      Delete
  4. Roe, I am not sure what possessed me at the time but it did work. It wouldn't have mattered who had the staring problem I would have reacted the same way and told them to get lost. :D It is just the way I am. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are the go to house in our neighborhood too. I don't mind kids coming over to play--as long as they follow the rules. I think sometimes kids will stare like that because they are too shy to ask if they can join in the fun. I could have never chased the kids away like that--I'd have to at least befriend them and give them an opportunity to join in on the fun--with their parents' permission of course. Once a kid breaks the rules--they don't get many more chances with me--especially if a safety issue is in play (like a pool). There have been a few kids come along that are no longer welcome here--and they don't come back. I'm pretty firm about that sort of thing--and I've gone out of my way to address their parents, when it has happened. I hate that though--but when it is a safety thing--there is no compromise.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I was brought up to not just invite myself to other people's houses and that it was very rude to just presume you are welcome. My mom was the same way, and just did not want to be responsible for random kids. I have no desire to police other people's kids at my house. I am even uncomfortable having over my kids friends from school. I don't feel I have the authority to tell other people's children what to do, and I really don't want the authority. It is awkward for me to have kids just show up and I was brought up to believe it was rude to show up on people without being asked with no warning. Just one of my quirks I guess. :P Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete