Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!!

   
    It is Day 4 of the Ultimate Blogging Challenge and I am a little late out of the starting date today.    It is also the 4th of July, better known as Independence Day or to most kids the day the fireworks fill the sky.

   


       While I was growing up the 4th of July was dedicated and reserved to family.  Every year the extended family would gather together for a full blown reunion usually held at my aunt’s house which featured a swimming pool, at my uncle’s house at the lake, or at Grandma’s farm.  Regardless where the reunion was held you could count on great food and my Dad’s barbecue chicken.  There would be swimming and maybe even a softball game for those sportier relatives that enjoyed that kind of stuff.  I was usually stationed far in the outfield where balls hardly ever dared to go.  It was a good thing because I wouldn’t know what the hell to do with it if it had!!  I was usually more concerned about not getting hit by the ball than actually catching it.  Picture me running away with my arms protecting my head and you will have an idea of my kind of fielding strategy.


        You could also count on rousing games of horse shoes, croquet, and even occasionally volleyball.  You could always count on my mom’s deviled eggs and once my cousin got married her amazing taco salad.  We would gather around tables set up outside and join hands and sing like the Who’s down in Who Ville.  Instead of Ya hoo Foray, we sang “Count your Blessings”, and then Grandpa would lead the family in prayer.




       After the last hugs, kisses, and goodbyes the family would disperse often not seeing each other again until Thanksgiving.  It was time to go home and plan for fireworks.  Being an over the road truck driver, my Dad could always be counted on to bring home a slew of illegal fireworks for our own personal show.  I would dance around using sparklers for pom-poms and then my Dad and his fireworks would take center stage.  We would gather outside in the yard with our next door neighbors to watch.


       Those days are long gone with most of the starring players.  Today the 4thof July still embodies all the things my grandparents taught me to value: time with family, great food, lawn games, fireworks, and
thankfulness counting our many blessings from our country’s freedom to the dear family and friends we hold most dear.   Even though I celebrate with only my husband and kids now, it doesn’t make the day any less poignant.   Happy Independence Day and may God bless each of you!



28 comments:

  1. Oh man, the games. Did you ever play bocce ball? That was always my favorite part of summer holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon, I don't believe I have ever played bocce ball. I am intrigued now and thank you for the sparkling recommendation! You know I am going to have to try it now! LOL Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Great post Kathy! My dad too was an over the road trucker, and I always loved the goodies that he brought home when he came back from his runs! The fireworks were the best. Our family was just like yours - get togethers during the holidays and then we wouldn't see each other again till the next one. Those are just memories now .. my sister and I try to make sure that we see each other a few times each year .. she's coming to Virginia from Pennsylvania next weekend for a mini-vaca/honeymoon (she got married two weeks ago) next weekend .. but we probably won't see each other again till Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing Lee's video. I absolutely love that song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I absolutely love it too and it wouldn't be the 4th without it for me. I have seen Lee in person any number of times. One summer when I was a teenager my mom and I were travelling about with the Oak Ridge Boys and he was their opening act so I had the pleasure of hearing this song live a lot and getting to know him and his band rather well. It is so cool that you are able to continue your own reunion of sorts with your sister. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. What a lot of sweet memories. You're very rich. Thanks for inviting us on your wal down memory lane. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eula, thank you for making the journey into my memories with me and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Happpy 4th to you and your family! I hope you had a good one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, A happy 4th to you too. It was great simply because my husband was home and that made all the difference in the world. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Thank you for that peek into the fun and frolic that constitutes a Fourth of July celebration. I hope you and your family enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, and thank YOU for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I only knew about the fireworks in 4th of July celebrations. I had no idea it comprised of such other fun activities too! Thank you for sharing your wonderful family memories with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicky, I think it varies depending on the family...that is just what my family did and how we celebrated. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this with us...though I knew a little about how 4th July is celebrated (thanks to the novels I read) but 1st person account is always better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smita, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. What great traditions you had as a kid! Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, and on the most part I have continued them on for my kids on a smaller scale. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a delightful tradition. We didn't really have anything like that on the 4th, but I can certainly see the appeal. We have almost always grilled outside, and sometimes would go watch the fireworks, but nothing was ever as much of a sure thing as your reunions.
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ornery's Wife, and to think I always dragged my feet about going until I got there. LOL In hindsight, I kind of miss them...go figure. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Such precious memories for you! We had similar family get togethers as kids. This year we are all spread out, so I bbq'ed with the hubby and relaxed. We will do a big get together Sunday with my friends and sisters to celebrate me getting older next week! Thank you for sharing the Lee Greenwood video. That song was one I missed yesterday so much. The NYC fireworks were pretty but the music was a major disappointment to me, as one two patriotic songs (not including a Hendrix version of the National Athem.). I switched to the National fireworks and it was better. Sad for me as I am a New Yorker. I kept looking for that song to be played. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, it is a real pity they didn't play it. It should be a requirement!! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. What wonderful memories! I hope your holiday was a great one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, it was a great day! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. Your post brought back some wonderful memories for me too ~ well, except for joining hands and singing :) So sweet! And now they say sparklers are dangerous for kids! Sadly, the majority of the starring players of my life are no longer here but the memories last and new traditions begin. Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, unfortunately life moves on and people pass on and out of your life. Fortunately though we take those memories and make our own using the ones before as a guide. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  13. This brought a lot of memories of growing with a large extended family, Kathy. Now I just enjoy the peace - hubby, dog and I! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, how lovely!! Peace is good! I surely don't miss the family squabbles and the drama that came from some reunions with some members. My life goes on quite well without that!! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments. ♥

      Delete
  14. thanks for sharing this.. now I know how July 4th is celebrated :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sukupedia, I am so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping in and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete