Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Kitchen Table

This was written for the Writer's Post Blog Hop hosted by Tayla Tate Boerner of "Grace Grits and Gardening".

     The kitchen table was sitting on the front lawn waiting to be auctioned off.  As I watched prospective bidders mill around my parent’s things memories came rushing back.  Every season warranted a new tablecloth.  If it was Christmas, the tablecloth featured holly berries or a Currier and Ives scene.  If it was Halloween, there would be pumpkins.  If it was Easter, there would be Easter eggs or bunnies.  It is funny the things a person remembers.

      So many memories from coloring Easter eggs to turkey dinners punctuated with the laughter of my family.  There were nights gathered around the table playing Monopoly and seeing my Dad enjoying his ice cream before bedtime.  On holidays the leaves would go in and the table would magically grow to hold all the marvelous food my parents prepared.


      Now the table is empty devoid of a table cloth.  My parents are gone and the family that once was will never gather around it again.  I still have my memories, but it is time for the table to find a new home.  Life is about changing and nothing ever stays the same.   With a lump in my throat I take one last look and walk away.






15 comments:

  1. Reading this brought back some memories of my own...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A New Me, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post and that it was able to bring back some memories for you. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Sometimes letting go of the past is the best thing. I also understand the value of memories. Thank you for the connection to some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raphael, You are very welcome and thank you for stopping in and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. I still have my original family dining table. It was given to my parents as a 25th anniversary gift from my sister. We've talked about all the family gatherings we had around that table for over 40 years! Thanks for sharing your story, it made me think of our cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, How wonderful that you still have it. Oh if that table could talk!! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh is this a real story?? it is so touching Kathy... I am so close to my family and it reminded me of our table back home and I see it in a different light after I read this story ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sukupedia, yes this is a real story. I was referring to my mom and dad's table. Lots of memories went to the highest bidder of that table. Hope they are making their own memories now. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. how we all keep going through such emotions off and on. Especially with the parting of ways from parents during college or marriage time as the case may be..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa, it is tough but in the end we grown stronger. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Amazing the memories attached to a kitchen table. Yours are very touching and triggered similar ones for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writercat59, I am so happy you enjoyed my post. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Is this a true story of your own table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, yes, true story about my mom and dad's table. Thank you for stopping by and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Tayla, I am so pleased you enjoyed my take. Great blog prompt! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

    ReplyDelete