Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The First Day

      It was his first day.  He was wearing new clothes, new shoes, and his brand new backpack was filled with brand new school supplies.  He was all clean and sparkly, utterly adorable, and brimming with anticipation.  Filled to the brim, the backpack must have been awful heavy on his small shoulders.  He was so excited for the adventure that kindergarten offered.  

       He didn’t notice my bittersweet mood.  Where had the time gone?  Could it be possible that my precious son had grown so much he was big enough to start school?  My heart clenched as he hugged and kissed me goodbye on his way out the door to catch the bus.  I told him to have a good day, to have fun at school, and with a heavy heart I let him go. 

        As I watched him walk out the door I thought about that precious armful he had once been and compared him to the fine young man he would one day be. I hoped the kids would be nice to him.  I hope he makes friends.  I hope he likes school!  “Please God, go with him.  Please, let the other kids be nice to him!” I silently begged.   He looked back and waved.  I bit my lip, swallowed the tears threatening to escape, smiled, and waved back.  There he goes, my little man off to discover and experience life…without me.









Write Tribe


Written for the Write Tribe Wednesday prompt.  Photo courtesy of Morgue File.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, how well I remember sending each of my three darling babies off to school. Thank you for this delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.J, I remember those days too. I waited breathlessly for that bus to return and worried the whole day wondering how they were faring. I am so pleased you enjoyed my post. Thank you so much for stopping by! ♥

      Delete
  2. The last sentence is so painful but true. A mother's concerns are universal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpana, I hate watching them go. It is always with a heavy heart. Those partings make those after school hugs even more special. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments!♥

      Delete
  3. Lovely narration of all the emotions that a mother goes through when she sees her child going to school for the first time. Wonderful take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mahabore, I am so happy you enjoyed it!! Been there and done that so it was easy to put the experience into words. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Awww I take it that was somewhat autobiographical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, yes!! Definitely taken from my own personal experience. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments. So pleased you liked it! ♥

      Delete
  5. Awww! That evoked so many emotions! Time flies and children grow up so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa, they really do. The time seems to fly by so fast and my babies are just no longer babies anymore. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Brings back memories. So many worries sending them off into the big world of elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jannatwrites, I know, right! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments♥

      Delete
  7. Beautiful take on the prompt, Kathy. We Moms cry more than the kids when they step out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya, we sure do but only where they can't see. If they only knew they would never go, and they must! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. I remember this feeling so well. Loved this Kathy. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jyothisdayout.com, I am so pleased you liked it! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. You made me nostalgic. Gosh I remember the day so well.. The kids cried so much I actually considered not sending them for another few months. It's so HARD to let them go.. Without you.. As you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obsessivemom, awww! It sure is hard to let them go. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Awww!! :) :)
    That was beautiful! You have captured each emotion wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mytakeoneverything9, then I have done what I set out to do!! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. Those were the days. Hard, sad and wonderful all at once. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, in a nutshell YES! Well said! Thank you for stopping by. I am so pleased you liked it! ♥

      Delete